Bamboo Pavilion • Garden:
The 1st BFU International Garden-making Festival, 2018
Call for Entries to the Design Competition
With "Bamboo Pavilion · Garden" as its theme, the 1st BFU International Garden-making Festival requires each participant to design and build a small garden by mainly using natural bamboo and herbs.
Besides these gardens for competition, the festival will also invite a world-renowned architect to design a bamboo-made temporary exhibition pavilion, approximately 100m², which is to be built at the same time with the competition gardens.
There are four phrases for the competition:
Phase-1: Call for entries. The jury reviews and confirms the winning list.
Phase-2: Construction document preparation and feasibility negotiation.
Phase-3: On-site construction.
Phase-4: Winner announcement; festival opening ceremony and exhibition.
Beijing Forestry University (BFU)
Education Committee of Chinese Society of Landscape Architecture (CLAEC)
School of Landscape Architecture at Beijing Forestry University
Anji Zhujing Bamboo Industry Technology Co., Ltd.
Landscape Architecture Journal
The theme of the 1st BFU International Garden-making Festival is “Bamboo Pavilion · Garden” , asking all participants to build a garden with natural bamboo and herbs.
All 12-15 garden plots are located within the campus of BFU, each with an area of 16m². The organizing committee will demarcate these sites ahead of time and provide potted plants, but no open-field plants. It is required to design a bamboo pavilion and a garden space. The area of the pavilion should not exceed 8m².
Requirements for the bamboo pavilion: Please use natural bamboos (Phyllostachy siridescens C.Y.Yaoet S.Y.Chen, 2-7cm diameter; Phyllostachy sedulis, 7-10 cm diameter) as major materials; low-tech construction techniques; no larger than 8m and no higher than 4m; accessible; no specifications for function and form.
Requirements for the garden:Please only use herbs and ground covers on the material list provided by the organizing committee; no other materials and water features.
The competition invites submissions from teams of students (who could be undergraduate or graduate students). The team should have no more than 8 members. At least one of the team member is enrolled in Landscape Architecture or related programs. We encourage students to team with others who are in different majors. Each team must have one or two tutors and can only submit one work.
There are two ways to participate in the festival competition.
1) Schemes from students in Landscape Architecture and related programs. 3-5 teams will enter in the next stage.
2) 7-9 renowned schools and colleges will be invited to participatein the competition.
Before March 15, 2018: Competition registration
1) Two forms: one is the free registration for full-time students (Type-A), the other is the group registration for the institutions invited (Type-B).
2) Follow on the WeChat official account "北林园林资讯" (BFU Landscape Architecture Information) and "风景园林杂志"(Landscape Architecture Journal)，click on “阅读原文” (Read more) on the competition notice page to register. Or enter the website of Landscape Architecture Journal: www.lalavision.com to apply.
3) Registration Deadline: Please confirm advisors and team members no later than March 15, 2018. Each team will receive a registraion number before 23:59 (Beijing time) March 20, 2018 by email.
Before April 15, 2018: Scheme submit
1) Submission requirements:
The design project should be presented on an A0 printed panel (841 mm high, 1189 mm wide) in landscape format, saved as JPG witha 300dpi resolution. The panel should include a reflection of the project and associated graphic representations, both in English or bilingual (English and Chinese). No author, advisor and institution information should be mentioned on the panel. The panel must be saved as a JPG and named as "registration number.pdf" ,such as "045.pdf".
2) Deadline: April 15th, 2018
3) Please email the submission to: email@example.com
Before May 1, 2018: Entry Evaluation
The organizing committee will convene a jury to evaluate all competition entries for their design creativity and construction feasibility, giving awards to the Type-A winning entries from which five will be selected for construction during the garden-making festival.
The awards for Type-A entries:
Winning Prize: 3-5 entries; winners will proceed to on-site construction.
Excellence Prize: 8-10 entries; winners will receive certificates.
Before May 20, 2018: Design development
According to the suggestions of the jury, the “Bamboo Place” Bamboo Technology Co., Ltd. and the herbs suppliers, the organizing committee will require the winning teams to refine their schematic designs based on construction feasibility prior to the construction document preparation. The Anji Zhujing Bamboo Industry Technology Co., Ltd. and the herbs suppliers will provide technical supports to winning teams until the completion of the construction documents.
Before June 30, 2018: Construction document submission
1) The five winning entries and seven invited universities should complete their construction documents and submit them to the organizing committee in PDF form. Construction documents should be A3 printed documents, including plans, elevations, sections, design and construction descriptions, design sizes, material specifications, construction details, prefabricated units, and schedules.
2) Deadline: June 30, 2018
3) Please email the submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Late September, 2018: On-site construction
1) Twelve teams will attend the opening ceremony of the 1st BFU International Garden-making Festival in laten September and then begin the garden construction work. The construction will take two and a half days.
2) Construction requirements: All relevant technology and safety requirements should be met.
Late September, 2018: Prize award, the opening ceremony of the festival
The organizing committee will convene renowned experts worldwide to make award decisions. In the opening ceremony of the festival , winner teams will be awarded certificates and prize bonus by special guests.
After successful registration, the organizing committee will provide participation teams with the site condition maps, photos of the surrounding areas, selectable bamboo sizes, list of plant materials, foundation conditions and other relevant information.
1) Participants agree on and adhere to the content of this notice as well as the competition rules, the competition organizing committee reserves the right of final explanation.
2) Digital drawings should not contain any author and institution names or logos, entries which are not in accordance with the rules will be disqualified。
3) Participants own their works’ copyrights, but the competition organizing committee reserves all the rights other than authorship, including but not limiting to distribution, exhibition, information network dissemination, publication, etc.
4) All participants should ensure their submissions are original and have not been submitted to other competitions.
5) Participants cannot receive guidance from the competition jury, otherwise he or she will be disqualified.
BFU International Garden-making Festival Organizing Committee